status on browser tab plugin

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 17:22:01 UTC 2006

Christopher,

Even though I know it is a large task, I pointed you in that direction for
several reasons.

First of all, no one (to the best of my knowledge) is currently working on a
plug in system / generic interface for these things. I will venture a guess
that I Will be doing a substantial amount of this work when the time comes,
and I doubt it will be happening for a  while still. I still have quite a
bit of work to do refining the Magnatune stuff and I really think that it
will be a mistake to branch out before this functionality is really solid.

Secondly, (and this is just my own personal opinion) I don't believe in
building frameworks from scratch. I have seen this fail too many times.
Instead I would much prefer, just like you mentioned, to factor out common
functionality from a number of similar, working,  features.

About being new to KDE/QT development, welcome to the club! :-) Seriously
though, I think you should be able to reuse the entire Magnatune browser and
its list view with few modifications (perhaps a with number of custom
QListViewItems). All you need to do is provide your own parser and database
handler (again, for the database the MagnatuedatabaseHandler should provide
a good starting point). If you do this, you will end up with a working,
albeit crude, implementation. from there it will be much easier to start
working on a framework that supports both our functionalities equally well.

Just my 2 cents, the other developers might not agree at all! :-)

- Nikolaj