use mtp or usm for an iRiver T10?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Nov 2 23:33:58 UTC 2006

On 02.11.06 18:07:14, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >On 02.11.06 21:27:10, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >>I do have a KDE svn account and could commit a change to app.cpp,
> >>changing vfatPath to also replace some more characters. I'm not doing it
> >>because nobody here knows me and I don't want to get flame-mails about
> >>changing amarok without anybody commenting.
> >
> >Hmm, weird. Now it seems amarok can write all files. I wonder wether
> >this could be because of a reformat of the stick or because I was using
> >1.4.4 release from Debian on the first try...
> >
> I must admit that I don't actually understand what issue you're having with
> syncing.

Well, amarok couldn't create some of the files on the iRiver (or
actually in the mounted dir). All of the tooltip windows I saw had
"weird" characters, like %, , and so on...

>  If you're having trouble with your iRiver, it may be because it's not
> actually a vfat device -- you may need to use the iFP or MTP plugins.

It is a USM, I change the firmware under windows an can happily copy
files onto it.

As I said I probably cannot reproduce anymore wether this is due to the
reformat of the drive that I did or because of the usage of "upstream"
amarok... The Debian-supplied amarok doesn't start anymore :(

> But
> you're also wrong about what characters vfat filesystems can support.  Here's a
> quick proof-of-concept I did on some of your cases (using "touch" to create
> some files, hence the zero lengths):

Yeah, already found that out...

Anyway: Do you know wether the MTP transfer method allows to create
proper iRiver T10 playlists (they have a proprietary format and can't
read m3u)?

Andreas

--
You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.