Fwd: ATF: Stop spreading FUD about other media players

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Jul 21 12:19:27 UTC 2006

A couple more comments regarding his email and my replies in my forward:

> 3)  It's called "Advanced Tag Features" not "Advanced Tagging Features."
> It never purports to have anything to do with tagging, only to use the tag
> to do advanced things.  Amarok already has decent tagging features to begin
> with, such as tagging multiple files and the like.  However, "Advanced
> Tracking Features" is a pretty good name too.  Anyone have a preference for
> that name?

Advanced Tracking Features would be more accurate for what it currently does;
however, if we want to save statistic information in the files like QL, which
I think is a good idea, then it makes sense to have it be a part of ATF (keep
all options which write to files together, so users can entirely disable or
enable Amarok touching their metadata, unless people think it'd be a good
idea to separate the functionality).  If we do that, "Advanced Tracking
Features" may end up being even more inaccurate and I'd prefer Advanced Tag
Features, although I could be persuaded that it would be "statistics
tracking" and thus Tracking would still be relevant.  I just think that if
you have a more generic "Tag" name that you can then lump whatever features
you want under it without introducing another name and/or having a name
change later.

--Jeff