dynamic collection merge

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Sun Jul 16 19:32:04 UTC 2006

Hi

the dynamic collection branch is ready to be merged back into trunk. We would
like it to be included in 1.4.2. To make that goal, it has to be merged soon
so that we can get some testers from the #amarok crowd.

Does anybody have objections to the merge, or require some further details for
a decision?

For all of you who don't know what "dynamic collection" is:
Dynamic collection improves Amarok's support for removable devices ( e.g. USB
hdds, mounted NFS shares ). Amarok is able to detect which devices are
connected and determine on which device the files in its database are
actually stored. This allows Amarok to dynamically hide the songs on a device
from the user (they are not shown in the Collection Browser or used in
dynamic/smart playlists) when the device in question is not mounted.
Hiding/unhiding is done dynamically at runtime. Another advantage is that
Amarok can handle changing mount points. With dynamic collection, it is no
problem anymore to mount your external USB HDD as /media/sdb1 instead
of /media/sda1 ... Amarok will detect that it is the same device and unhides
all tracks on that device in its collection.

Max