Resuming podcast downloads

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:53:32 UTC 2006

Hi Stewart,

I'm the one that wrote PodcastFetcher. The reason I'm not using KIO (which
supports resuming) is because KIO does not report redirects to the Amarok. So
I'm using QHttp to fetch podcastepisodes. Whether or not QHttp supports
resuming I do not know.
When you figure that out I would suggest you create a partial file in
PodcastFetcher::slotResponseReceived( 200 ) and rename the partial file in
PodcastFetcher::slotDone() when completed. That way only one file is created
and renamed, unlike the ugly hack it is now.

And then there is the conflicting filename problem Ian keeps hammering on. It
is possible that a podcaster always names his files the same, like
episode.mp3, in every rss-item. If that's the case a number is appended
before the extension. Problem is that when resuming a download a new file
will be created because the partial is already there. A way to prevent that
might be checking the content size in the enclosure.

From personal experience I can tell podcastfetching is a bitch, so good luck.

Shanachie