Masstagging [Was: Re: : Genre aggregation feature]

Simon Bühler simon at aktionspotenzial.de
Fri Jul 7 16:41:31 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 7. Juli 2006 17:54 schrieben Sie:
> On 7/7/06, Simon Bühler <simon at aktionspotenzial.de> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I'd rather like to see an enhanced tagging support in amarok - as the
> > whole collection thing is metadata based, it would be nice to have the
> > possibility to improve the tagging consistency - especially when handling
> > bigger collections. so, add e.g. the possibility to catch misspellings in
> > genres or artist names and retag the whole bunch with one defined term -
> > some wildcards or even regex stuff for the nerds should be fine =)
>
> [snip]
> Why not just add all your inconsistently tagged tracks to the
> playlist, highlight them all, and edit the tags you want to be synced.
>
> A tag spellchecker... that is not going to work very well. :P

basically it's not that handy to find e.g. only an artist in a (quite big)
collection as the search field searches for artist/title/album and
furthermore when dealing with combinations of two or more artists this
approach won't work as its not possible to change a part of the artist tag.

eg sizzla, sizzler, sizzla kalonji, kalonji  should be renamed to Sizzla, this
won't work when trying to fix it in a "capleton & sizzla" combination.
this is where the wildcard thing has undisputed advantages.

And just to make it clear - i'm not talking bout a spellchecker but the
posibility to retag and consolidate the metadata which in party is nicely
implemented (guess from filename stuff) and just misses some tiny bits :)