extragear/multimedia/amarok

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu Jul 6 17:14:15 UTC 2006

On 7/6/06, Adeodato Simó <dato at net.com.org.es> wrote:
> * Seb Ruiz [Thu, 06 Jul 2006 03:24:40 +0000]:
>
> >  - ask packagers to build separate packages for media device plugins
>
> What's the rationale?

So if someone wants Amarok they don't have to get a whole bunch of the
dependencies related to various media devices. I guess if Debian users
don't mind though its fine. Perhaps it is better that way, so users
don't have to know about the extra media device packages.

> >  - mandatory to build with included sqlite (need to update configure?)
>
> Why this? It works most of the time, and when it doesn't, it packagers
> can revert to included sqlite for a version or two.

One problem was that someone thought the docs suggested that they
should build Amarok without *any* sqlite support if they had MySQL
(which they did pretty much say that, and I'm pretty sure that would
be impossible).

And anyways, you know very well that we never liked distros using
their own versions of sqlite; this is hardly a change in policy. For
instance the latest sqlite that we imported into Amarok 1.4.1 changed
the return type of ROUND, which had to be worked around. I think we in
upstream are better equipped to identify such issues. Eg we have users
testing it out in SVN before release and I would be (pleasantly)
surprised if the Debian libsqlite3 maintainer rigorously tests with
Amarok before each point-release of sqlite.

Note that if sqlite was a normal library that didn't change how it
worked with stable point releases, I would agree with you entirely.

> It's already sad to see a project misuse shared libraries, and now state
> that the misues is "mandatory" for everybody.

Offtopic, but it appears Ruby is not a required dependency:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/kde/amarok
These means users won't have statistics or lyric support. :( We don't
take making dependencies required lightly, we only have 3+engine.
Please respect them.