beginner's dcop question: automating undescribed functions

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sun Dec 17 06:10:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-17-12 at 05:08 +0100, Johannes Bergmeier wrote:
> On Sunday 17 December 2006 03:58, Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > SO if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.  This whole dcop
> > thing is pretty cool, by the way.  I'm starting to understand what all
> > those kde fans are so fanatical about.
> This might be what you want:
>
> dcop amarok player pause
>
> When amarok/xine is in pause-mode it normaly releases the soundcard. At least
> my amarok does this :)

so, interestingly, when amarok is actually playing, lsmod | grep cs4232
gives:
cs4232          8680   2
while lsof -c amarok | grep dev gives
amarokapp   7180     24w     CHR    14,3      16728    /dev/dsp
amarokapp   7180     21r     CHR    14,0      16731    /dev/mixer

if I pass it the pause command as you suggest, lsmod | grep...  gives
cs4232          8680   1
while lsof | grep dev returns only the /dev/mixer line.

if I pass it the "quit" command,, then lsmod  tells me
cs4232          8680   0
and I can modprobe -r cs4232.  So amarokapp normally controls two
processes that hold on to the sound card via /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer;
when it pauses, one of those processes stops but the other persists. I'm
not sure what I can do to get amarok to release the mixer, but I imagine
that dcop must be able to get there somehow.  anyway clearly I know more
now than I did before.

> If i remember correctly those qt/unnamedxxx are simply the names of QObject
> instances and therefore not what you want.

ok.  I will pretend I understand what exactly the QObjects are
(instances of widget objects created by the running program maybe?)
What about the really long lines like
qt/PlaylistWindow/settings/janus/unnamed3(QFrame,
0x88191a0)/unnamed3(QWidgetStack,
0x82e08b0)/page/Engine/unnamed3(QGroupBox,
0x8b9c9b0)/XineConfigBase/ossGroupBox

(sorry for the line wrap)

any possibility these might be relevant?  and how would I figure out
what parameters to pass?

thx,

matt

--