scripting: tell amarok to quit nicely, saving playlist

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 16 03:45:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm inthe midst of converting an old laptop (ibm thinkpad 600e) into an
amarok/ipod player.  so far it's working pretty well except thatthis
laptop has some issues with the sound card.  I haven't been able to get
the alsa driver to work, but have finally made the oss driver work
pretty well.  the only thing is that, after an apm suspend-to-ram or a
suspend2 suspend-to-disk, the driver is very poorly-behaved:  it loops
and stutters terribly.  So right now I have a little script that runs
like this:

killall amarokapp
aumix -S
sudo modprobe -R cs4236
apm --suspend
sudo modprobe cs4236
aumix -L
amarokapp

The problem with this of course is that amarok loses the current
playlist when it's killed.  I'd really like to avoid that.  so I'd like
to replace the 'killall amarokapp' with something like:

dcop amarok player die-peacefully
...  but there doesn't seem to be any such command.

In fact what I'd MOST like to do is to tell amarok:
dcop amarok player release-sound-card-and-pause

because on this machine, amarok actually takes quite a while to load
(maybe partly because I'm running xfce; I suppose I could try a
striped-down kde instead, but I don't know how much better that would
be).

anyway, I'd really appreciate some hints on this -- it would be fabulous
if I could manage it.  thanks,

matt

--
Matt Price