update vs rescan?

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Fri Dec 15 08:17:00 UTC 2006

Jocke Andersson wrote:
> On Thursday December 14 2006 23:32, Andrew Turner wrote:
>> You mention putting an update button in the Collection Browser - this
>> is what was the case until relatively recently. It is also worth
>> noting that the Incremental Update is what happens for most users
>> almost every minute when they have "Watch for changes" enabled, and so
>> the button is only really necessary for people with that disabled.
> Then why show it to the people with folder watching enabled? One of the base
> points of interface design is to only show relevant info and useful options
> to the user.

mostly because people were told "click on this button". "what button ?
there is no such button". now _that_ was confusing :)

>> Having said this, it was confusing to many people for things to
>> disappear just because they had a certain setting enabled.
> I have seen some examples where this has worked out great... Having both
> choices in the same menu like it is right now is even more confusing IMHO.

they could, of course be moved around, renamed and so on - but i think
'update' should be easy to access.

>> Another problem that needs to be taken account of in the wording is to
>> reassure users that doing a Full Rescan won't lose things like
>> statistics (something that once worried me back in my days of
>> n00bness).
> That is a bit tricky... "Full collection folder rescan"?

if it's moved to config window, it could have a tooltip or something.

--
  Rich