update vs rescan?

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 22:13:55 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 22:50, Andrew Turner wrote:
> A quick explanation:
>
> The collection scanner has two modes of operation:
> Full scan ("Rescan Collection") - it looks at every file in the
> Collection Folders specified;
> Incremental Update ("Update Collection") - it only examines new
> directories or directories with a newer mtime than last time it
> scanned.
>
> There are times where "Update Collection" isn't enough. For example, I
> find that if I use Azureus to download music into a folder in one of
> my Collection Folders, the mtimes of none of the directories are
> updated when the files are complete (so Amarok never bothers to scan
> the completed files). Another situation could be if Amarok just gets
> confused (it can happen).
>
> Hope that helps,
> Andrew

Yet there is no reason why "rescan" (or "full scan") couldn't be hidden a bit.
Users would be happy because of reduced scanning times, and in those less
common situations where full scan is needed one could launch it from the
config dialog. No need to list them both, imho.

--
Ljubomir Simin
Registered Linux User #351181