update vs rescan?

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:13:19 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 December 2006 21:29, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> > Update does an incremental scan, scanning only directories with
> > new/removed files (or changed filenames).  Rescan does a full rescan
> > of your entire collection.
> >
> We've tried hard to come up with descriptive names for these, it ain't
> easy. Any better ideas?

I thought it was so, but I wasn't sure, and there's no tooltip to clear doubts
up. But another question: are both options really needed under 'tools' menu?
Can't 'rescan' be moved somewhere deeper (i.e. to collection setup dialog)? I
think the most frequent use case for such action is looking for new songs,
so "update" is logical solution. Having both actions one under another IMHO
confuses users at the first time, and makes really easy to incidentally
choose the wrong one (rescanning 60 gig of audio files took me more than 20
minutes). They also have very similar blue icons (under current Amarok
iconset).

Note that I'm not arguing against existence "rescan" action, only about hiding
it from "tools" menu.

Regards,

--
Ljubomir Simin