Next release: 1.4.5 or 1.5?

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Fri Dec 1 09:56:28 UTC 2006

Heya,

as our next release is approaching (I currently estimate it could happen
around Christmas), the question about versioning surfaces again. What should
we call this release: 1.4.5 or 1.5.0? In essence this is really mostly a
marketing decision. It has no impact on Amarok's code itself. Nevertheless,
marketing is important, as the program version will convey a certain image to
our users.

I have a assembled a list of arguments from previous discussions pro/contra
making a big version jump. Please think about these arguments, and feel free
to bring further ones into the discussion.

PRO 1.5:
* If we don't start 1.5 now, we will probably be stuck with 1.4.x until 2.0.
* Big version jump usually means more promotion.
* There have been a number of visual changes (GUI polishing, and hopefully
also icon improvements) that make the app look different ("fresher").
* This release introduces the Labels feature and the Shoutcast Browser,
arguably big features.

CONTRA 1.5:
* 1.5.0 suggests that it's still new and unstable, which isn't true. It's a
stable release.
* More work (finding a new theme name, artwork, etc).
* Too few new features to justify big version jump.

Please discuss :)

--
Mark