Amaroklive and gentoo catalyst

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 13:07:30 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, Greg Meyer <greg at gkmweb.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 3:40 am, Luca Casagrande wrote:
> > > For the next one, I think it may be decided to use kubuntu as the base,
> > > although Guti was reviewing the situation with pclos, so it may not be
> > > decided.
> >
> > I thought that you build amaroklive from scratch, adding just what it's
> > needed...In my test i made an iso with amarok as the only app on the cd and
> > a basic kde installation; as kde has loaded, amarok start in full screen
> > mode.
>
> No, It's not like we do a Gentoo stage1 and only add amarok.  We (in the past,
> not saying we should always do it this way) start with a base distro and
> remove all the stuff we don't need.  This has been beneficial because a lot
> of the technical heavy lifting has been done to get the thing to boot on as
> many hardware setups as possible.
>
> Just let me make a side comment here, as you have given me the opportunity,
> because this has perpetually been a problem with the livecd development (and
> Luca, this is not targeted at you, just the process in general).  Everybody
> that wants to help seems to want to use their pet distribution, and as such
> we risk offending people if we reject the suggestions of using their distro.
> I have had at least 4 people in the past volunteer to help only to see them
> forget about it when their distro of choice was not used as the base.
>
> pclos was used for practical reasons, (I don't even use it on my production
> machines).   So let's have a discussion of what base distro makes the most
> sense from a practical and technical standpoint.  What are we going to use
> and who is going to do the mastering?  Right now we have four people that
> have volunteered to make the iso and they all have suggested different
> distros.

I still vote for Kubuntu ^^
Mainly because of four reasons:
* Kubuntu is delivering (IMO) the best KDE beside SUSE's
* the development team is (as PCLos') always interested to help with stuff
* as it makes use of ubuntu repository we have access to really
(meaning really really rally) big software collection
* and last but not least, because I can package software, though it's
also kinda no problem to find anyone else in the packager team to do
one, as most kubuntu contributors love amarok ;-)

--
Harald Sitter, Senior Director of Inter Project Coordination
Activities, http://amarok.kde.org