website tricks you into thinking you downloaded v1.4.2

Alf B Lervaag alfborge at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 25 10:03:59 UTC 2006

Ian Monroe wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Mats Ahlgren <mats_a at mit.edu> wrote:
> >  From a usability standpoint, I humbly suggest that the giant green
> > arrow not point you to the download page, but rather a special
> > download page for 1.4.2 -- or at least clearly mark on the download
> > page which version you're downloading.
>
> For each download on the download page the version is indicated.

Indeed, however you assume that people read the information.  I suspect
many people just "clickety-click" through it all, parsing the page for
their distro and assuming that it's all 1.4.2 since that's the page they
thought they entered.  I.e. I agree with Mats that older versions should
not be so readily available.

> I suppose a distrowatch-like table indictating the version for each
> distro could be added.

I suggest two pages, a download page with the newest version, and an
"older versions" page that the user can navigate to from the download
page.

--
Alf