suggestion (OffTopic)

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat Aug 19 15:07:07 UTC 2006

You can map raw keycodes to XF* by xmodmap, as you know.  I don't think
~/.xmodmap runs by itself...personally, I have a line in my ~/.xprofile:

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

with .Xmodmap looking like:
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop
!keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
!keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 233 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 234 = XF86AudioPrev
pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

Note the ! lines, which are comments, useful if you need to switch what keys
map to what for different keyboards.  xev (X Event Viewer) is a useful
program for all this...

--Jeff