ATF safety

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Thu Aug 17 02:31:41 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 10:10 pm, Paul Cifarelli wrote:
> what we are concerned about is the unknown.
>
> Thoughts?  Comments?

I'll chime in here as a beta tester.  I have been very hesitant to turn atf on
for exactly the reason that it modifies all the files in the collection (en
masse and in an irreversible way) and despite Jeff's insistence on its
safety, I don't trust such a pervasive feature until it has been tested more
extensively.

Of course, as an aggressive user, I have often jumped into new features and
paid dearly for it (e.g. losing 18 months of stats) but in this case we
aren't talking about a database, but with the data itself, and I don't feel
like re-ripping my whole collection of cd's.

I'm not sure what all this means.  I guess I am arguing for a cautious
approach for our users.  Any risk of destroying their collections is
something to be avoided at all costs imho.
--
Greg