Amarok documentation - Album covers

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 01:12:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
> Hallo Amarockers,
>
> Do you think it is feasible to start writing a section of help text on
> the topic of album covers in V2.x?
>
> As I see it this would NOT be part of the Quick Start Guide that we are
> involved with at the moment. It would possibly be part of a different
> manual.

It would be nice to write an article for the next Insider, and then we
can expand it for the Handbook. Personally, I use the copy cover
script, so that copies are placed in the album folders. But I know
that doesn't help for iPod. So I agree that we need some help for
users.

> My interst is sparked by considerable problems that I have in
> maintaining my cover artwork on the iPod. Every time I interact with
> iTunes my covers are destroyed. Since I think that covers is a real
> enhancement, it would be useful to put together some help documentation
> on that topic. There is a lot of information that the average user does
> not have.
>
> Is there anyone with a technical knowledge who is prepared to make a
> start? Some of the important points are:
>
> 1) What is the technical mechanism used for obtaining covers? I gather
> it is obtained from last.fm? Are there any ways, for a user, to change
> the place where cover art is obtained, e.g. Amazon?

The cover manager has choices for google, yahoo and amazon, as I recall.

> 2) How are covers stored? I assume making use of MySQL in the collection
> database? Are covers stored together and separate from the music or does
> each album have a cover in the same folder? How are covers associated
> with albums/tracks?
>
> This type of knowledge would be useful for understanding how to work
> with covers and how to synchronise covers with external palayers e.g; iPods.
>
> I can do a fair bit in generating text about what buttons to click in
> order to manage cover artwork, but a paragraph on Amarok's approach to
> the handling of covers would be very extremely useful. If someone is
> prepared to  make a start I will do my bit to help combine all of this
> into a single coherent document.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Kind regards, Willem Ferguson

Why not start an article here:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATnjdQG6VS_4ZGZ0cnE2dHdfMzNjNnh0djZnOQ&hl=en

We need another Insider for the next release.

Valorie

--
New! http://genealogy-uki.linkpendium.com/
Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca, LinkedIn, Delicious: valoriez .