Handbook structure - first draft

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 10:41:31 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have done some brainstorming for the Handbook structure and this is a
>> first draft. Please comment on it and make suggestions. I took example
>> on a few other KDE application handbooks available, and had at look at
>> the old Amarok 1.4.x handbook in SVN.
>>
>> Almost all applications include the QuickStartGuide, so did Amarok
>> 1.4.x, so I guess this is ultimately a good idea, but can only be done
>> once the Handbook is more advanced. I is easy to move it to the manual
>> later, so no need to worry about this for now.
>>
>> 1. Introduction
>>
>> 2. Getting started (could as well be the QuickStartGuide)
>>
>> 2.1. The Toolbar
>> 2.2. The Content Browser
>> 2.3. The Playlist
>> 2.4. The Context View
>>
>> 3. Using Amarok (should be Advanced Features if we integrate the
>> QuickStartGuide)
>>
>> Random list:  Streams, Podcasts (although I think these two should be
>> in the QuickStartGuide), Dynamic Playlists, Automatic Playlist
>> Generator, Collection searching, Playlist filtering, Script Manager,
>> DAAP, UPnP, external Database configuration, etc.
>>
>> 4. Configuring Amarok
>>
>> 4.1. General
>> 4.2. Collection
>> 4.3. Internet Services
>> 4.4. Playback
>> 4.5. Notifications
>> 4.6. Database
>> 4.7. Changing the layout
>>
>> 5. Menu and Command Reference
>>
>> 5.1. Amarok Menu
>> 5.2. View Menu
>> 5.3. Playlist
>> 5.4. Tools
>> 5.5  Settings
>> 5.6. Help
>> 5.7. Search commands
>>
>> 6. Keybinding Reference
>>
>> 6.1. The Global Shortcuts
>> 6.2. The Amarok Shortcuts
>>
>> 7. Troubleshooting and Common Problems

>> 9. Credits and License
>>

>> I made a first page at http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual,
>> containing these items for now:
>>
>> Introduction
>> Getting started
>> Using Amarok
>> Configuring Amarok
>> Credits and License
>>
>> Numbering is done automatically by the wiki, so don't worry about
>> that. Please do not add anything to the Manual page until we clearly
>> know the structure. It is also a good idea to already get familiar
>> with the Guidelines for Manuals located here:
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Typographical_Guidelines
>> http://userbase.kde.org/EditMarkup
>>

>> Regards, Myriam.
>
> Thanks, Myriam. Please keep in mind, team, that this is preliminary,
> based on what we have now, and what has been done in the past. We may
> improve/expand/change this if we think that's needful.
>
> Right now, let's focus on getting the last of the Quick Start Guide
> [...]

Ugh, I didn't mean to shut down discussion on this important subject!
I would like to hear feedback on this, because the sooner we get the
structure agreed upon, the sooner we can all tackle our favorite bits!
And the research for those bits can be dual-purpose, because all of
these subjects can be made into articles for the Amarok Insider too.

One little bit I see missing from the above is 4.8 Configuring Playlists Layouts

The random list in section 3 looks complete, but I want to give this
one a bit more thought.

Valorie