Ads on amarok.kde.org - a new perspective

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 07:43:46 CET 2009

Ahoy,

just wanted to let you know something that surprised me personally quite a bit:

We had always been taking for granted (due to some old information)
that advertisements are not allowed on KDE domains. After talking to
Sebas the other day, it turned out that this isn't entirely true -
there is in fact no such formal rule. It's just that KDE wouldn't like
to see a page plastered with ads for dubious products (which I
wouldn't want either).

However, nothing is stopping us from e.g. putting an ad for Magnatune
on the page, or ads for other companies that sponsor us (or which are
somehow "friends" of us, e.g. like Last.fm). And I think this puts
things into a very different perspective. If we should actually make
use of this option is debatable, but I think it's interesting to know
that we have this option :)

I personally wouldn't have a problem with e.g. listing some sponsors
or befriended companies, especially not if that could generate us some
bucks.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer