Amarok promo brainstorming

Kuba Serafinowski zizzfizzix at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:14:52 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 09:05, Wendy Van Craen <wendy.vancraen at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another idea:
>
> printing cool Amarok stickers (I have connections for good prices due
> my daytime job...)
>
> We make the sticker some kind of 4-pages leaflet ->1 of the pages
> contains the sticker, on the other 3 pages we promote Amarok in a way
> like "DISCOVER FREE MUSIC WITH AMAROK, go to www.---.org for more
> information" -> I would however recommend to create a mini-webpage
> just for this promotion.  This website should be very
> new-potential-user-centered and be very appealing, so anyone who
> visits the site would download Amarok "just to try it out".
>
> Afterwards we can make statistics on how many downloads we had during
> this promotion.
>

> Where to distribute these leaflets/stickers?  In student bars, at
> schools, sports clubs, disco's, on parties, ...
> I love to go out, so I'd love to help distribute :-)
>

> This is a very easy thing to do, it only takes some volunteering from
> us, the community.  Above all, it is not expensive at all to do a
> thing like this.

I agree, it's not that hard for us to advertise in such way, BUT, my main
concern about promotion is our product, what do we want to promote? For
serious promotion we need serious product. No one on the street (club,
whatever) will take us serious if will promote just Linux version of Amarok,
which - no matter how great - they will never try on their Win or Mac. So:
My last and most important question is: What's with our Mac&Win ports?

PS I've been using Amarok on Win on my vbox, and it *works* but it's
definitely not product we want to advertise..