Drumming up developers for Windows and OSX

abhishek rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 09:05:21 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> lately I've become increasingly concerned with our lack of developers
> for the Windows and OSX versions of Amarok. We have a number of bug
> reports open exclusively for these two platforms, but currently we're
> lacking developers who could actually fix these things, since most of
> our core devs are working on Linux now.
>
> I imagine that many of these bugs could be rather easy to solve, if
> only someone would actually look at them. But we're facing a kind of
> "hen-and-egg" problem: As long as Amarok doesn't work well on these
> platforms, it's hard to find new developers for it. But there is a lot
> of untapped potential, I believe. We just need to find a way to tap
> it.
>
> So I'm wondering how we could improve on the situation. The first
> thing that comes to my mind is increasing the visibility with well
> targeted promotion. E.g. we could blog about it, put an article on our
> web site, etc.
>
> Personally I'm willing to contribute by writing a blog article, which
> could be a start.
>

> Do you guys have any other ideas?
>
> --
> Mark Kretschmann
> Amarok Developer
> www.kde.org - amarok.kde.org

Yes agreed that is a big issue.Here are a few things I think we could do.
1)Have a separate contribute page(already proposed) on a.k.o with a
Develop for Windows/Mac OSX topic.
2)Write a post on a.k.o addressing our needs for developers for the
windows/osx version of amarok.Also the same on D.K.O(KDE NEWS) thus
reaching more developers.
3)Make a separate release announcement for "Amarok beta for Windows &
Mac" also announcing the need for developers.
4)Making it a topic on the irc channel saying "We need developers for
Amarok windows" or something like that because there,most of the
developers are lurking around.

Even though the windows version is there,I think its presence is still
relatively unknown.So far there have been very few announcements for
the windows/OSX versions of Amarok due to which only a few users &
developers have used it.The low usage(always comparative) has led to a
low volume of developers being attracted.