Wiki vs Google docs [was: Re: Amarok 2.0 beta 3 announcement]

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:52:52 CET 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Sven Krohlas <sven at asbest-online.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
>> I have been writing the last release notes. Sometimes I got help,
>> sometimes I didn't. I asked for people to help me with writing them on
>> this list and on IRC. I invited those who wanted to help. To be
>> completely honest a wiki sucks balls for writing release notes. End of
>> story. Some reasons are formatting, collaborative editing and so on
>> and so on. I am not going to do it there.
> What if I say, for my reasons, "I am not going to do it on Google Docs."?

That would be unfortunate.

> Also, as you were away, people were searching the started beta 2
> announcement. If it was on the wiki...
> And yes, of course, there were people invited. But not the ones that
> wanted to contribute at that very moment. Iirc it was markey.

The sensible thing was to ask Seb who was in charge of release. And
the problem was solved in the end, wasn't it?

>> Google Docs offers comments,
>> simultaneous editing, easy invitation of more contributors and so on
>> and so on and is the place where I have a lot of other documents
>> anyway.
> I don't care about your documents, I care about the ones of the project.
> You can do with yours whatever you want.

Point taken. But that doesn't change the other points I made. It is
just an added bonus for me and a few others.

>> And sorry I don't really care too much about hit-and-run-contributors
>> for our release notes if that means making my work harder.
> Those might be the regular contributors of tomorrow.
> Making it harder for them to help will make it harder for Rokymotion
> to get release announcements done in the future.

If someone wants to start helping with release announcements they will
be invited to the document. Absolutely no problem so far for Ljubomir
and Kuba for example. They are not what I consider hit-and-run
contributors btw which is why we reach them on IRC, on this list,
jabber and so on and so on.
It pains me to say but it is not like we get 100 people show up every
day trying really hard to help with writing release notes and us
keeping them from doing so ;-)

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager