Wiki vs Google docs [was: Re: Amarok 2.0 beta 3 announcement]

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Mon Oct 27 09:48:28 CET 2008

Hi,

> As i know, we're making announcements on docs.google.com
> <http://docs.google.com/>. Did it change? I've made the doc for it, and
> invited some people ;)

Well, that's not carved in stone. In former times we used the Wiki, the
people who do the main part of the work atm like Google Docs.

And, I have to confess, I put it on the Wiki to start exactly that
discussion. So thanks for replying. :-)

Of course both of them have their pros and cons. This is how I see it:

==Google docs==
+ collaborative editing
- invitations (not open for spontaneous and unregular contributors)
- proprietary with all its disadvantages

==Wiki==
+ completely open, everyone can contribute, espacially those spontaneous
  and unregular contributors, who might become very active ones in the
  future
- no collaborative editing

For me being open is the more important thing: we don't have an army of
article writers. Collab editing is very cool indeed, but when only two
people are editing this can also be managed in the Wiki (editing different
paragraphs, for example).

And, I don't have a system full of free software just to let it run
proprietary code again on a higher level (the browser)...

Stallman just recently also talked about that problem from another perspective:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

cu
--
Darkerradio Free Music Charts: