New collaborator presentation

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:33:44 CET 2007

Hello Rodrigo

Welcome to the team! :-)

I will let some of the regular rokymoters tell you abut their current
plans, but I can write a few lines about the state of Amarok itself.

Currently we have a stale branch of Amarok ( the 1.4 branch ) that is
currently at version 1.4.7. This branch is basically in maintenance
mode, but it is actively updated with bugfixes and minor improvements
quite often.

The bulk of our development work is currently aimed at Amarok2. This
new verion will be quite different than the 1.4 branch as it aims to
fully utilize all the new technologies made available by the upcoming
KDE4, as well as add a bunch of new features and greatly update the
look of the application. If you go to our homepage ( amarok.kde.org )
and browse the blog archive, you will find many entries on the
progress of, and ideas behind, Amarok2. Also, the upcoming version  is
mostly cross platform, so we expect to release a windows and Mac
version sometimes after the release of the *nix version.

We hope to be able to release Amarok2 in the first part of next year,
sometimes after KDE4 becomes available. Personally, I would like to
see the release of some sort of preview ( alpha or beta? ) around the
time KDE4 is officially released ( I don't know if this is possible
though )

Hope that gave you an idea of the software side of things.

- Nikolaj