FAQ enhanced, aka Knowledge Base

Ljubomir Simin ljubomir.simin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 02:06:23 CET 2007

Hi all rokymoters,

After a discussion last night about Amarok Knowledge Base, and FAQ
restructuring, i've came to following conclusions:

1. There is interest to do a major restructurization of FAQ, update its
content and add more topics (mini-articles even) with possibly broader scope
(like general linux sound quality issues, multiple sound cards, amarok as
dj-ing app)

2. This would require splitting FAQ into sub-pages, with index as starting
point, possibly with every answer/article in separate page

3. Existing FAQ organization is not optimal and would use some "modernization"

Therefore, my proposal for new organization follows.

Currently it looks like this:
WHAT IS AMAROK
INSTALLATION
TROUBLESHOOTING
GENERAL USAGE
PLAYBACK
DEVELOPMENT
TIPS
GENERAL QUESTIONS
KONQ. SIDEBAR
LAST.FM
GENERAL PLAYBACK
XINE

Note there are 3 "general" sections. How they differ from PLAYBACK (from users
POV)? Why are sidebar, last.fm and xine outside? So, here's my proposal:

ABOUT
+What is Amarok
+Brief description of Amarok's features
+Getting involved (development, promotion and artists)

INSTALLATION
+Different ways of installation
+Distro-specific information (ev. Win & Mac)
+Restricted formats

FEATURES
//every feature explained. This will actually be the biggest part of FAQ.
//Examples follow:
+Engines unmasked
+The ultimate guide to database collectioning
+Score and rating. What's all the fuss about?
+Music labeling, and why should I use it?
+Music formats under preasure - which and how? (digital and analog music
playback guide)
+DCOP, should I learn it?
+Streamed music, aka "what if I'm bored?"
+Remote collection, how to play music from other's PCs? (samba,nfs,/*daap?*/)
+Amarok on the party - how to keep it simple, safe and stable.
+GUI tricks - everybody's favorite (not so) hidden feature
+Make it your own way - various methods of controlling Amarok remotely
(remote, bluetooth, telnet...)
+Squeeze the max out of it - make your music sound perfect
+The ulimate DJ guide: turn your Amarok PC into party machine in 5 simple
steps :)
+LiveCD, and how to make your firend's eyeballs fall out
+Everything you'd want to know about playlists but you're afraid to ask
+Make your Amarok prettier - all about appereance
+More with less - scripts
+Afraid to shoot strangers - Amarok and no KDE
//You got the point...

KNOWN ISSUES
//List of known tehnical isuues, limitations and their workarounds

GETTING HELP
+Sources of help (distro ml, amarok ml, forums...)
+All about backtraces

HOT TOPICS
//New feature, which probably should be on top of the page.
//Resolution of the 5-10 most asked questions/problems
//Something like sticky threads on the forum.
//Most FAQ of the FAQ :))
+MP3 playback
+UTF-8 vs. id3 tag
+Musicbrainz

I think all our current FAQ entries could be categorized under this
organization.

Well, it's past 2AM here, lets go to bed :).

--
Ljubomir Simin
Registered Linux User #351181