Season of KDE 2015 - Port Qt5 - Mentor

Aditya Sharma aditya.sharma15696 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 08:44:21 UTC 2015

> Hello Aditya,
>
> finishing/pushing forward the Qt5 port seems to be a good idea for a SoK.
>
> Some comments:
> -) I don't see the porting away from KDELibs4Support a priority (except
> if it really would not work with it)
> -) The Context View needs to be ported to KF5, Qt5 & QML but if you
> refine your proposal, please take into account that this is splitted up
> between the backend and porting the individual ContextWidgets. Here I
> see the priority in porting the backend and one or two example Widgets
> (so that the porting of the rest of the widgets can be splitted up)
>
> On 2015-10-09 12:41, Aditya Sharma wrote:
> > I know this is huge and won't be able to accomplish in the given timeline
> > but, I would like to keep on working on this port after the completion of
> > SoK so that Amarok is fully functional for Plasma 5. As such there's no
> > specfifc title. I would try to take this as much forward as possible.
>
> If you already know that this isn't possible in the given timeframe,
> could you maybe try to find the tasks that you think will be possible in
> the timeframe.

Porting Context View Widgets to Qt5, KF5 and QML2.0 seems to be a possible
task. But I'm not very sure if the the current condition that we are in the
kf5 branch, would still support/run the new context view. What I mean to
say is that are these parts as independent to still function in such a case
that we are in.

As for mentor, I think you would need actually 2 mentors: one general
> Mentor, familiar with Amarok and another one from outside of Amarok that
> is very knowledgable about Qt5/KF5 to help you with harder problems
> arising in porting (if you find a person combining these things, even
> better).

Hmm. 2 Mentors. But I don't know anyone apart from some members of the
Amarok Team. So finding someone with knowledge about Qt before the
application deadline might not be possible. I'll have to figure out the Qt
stuff on my own. And Qt has awesome documentation nonetheless.

One more thing. Can I still apply for a project idea without being able to
find a mentor ?

> Stefan

Regards
Aditya