Season of KDE 2015 - Port Qt5 - Mentor

Aditya Sharma aditya.sharma15696 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:41:11 UTC 2015

Hey all !

It's been a while since we started porting Amarok to Qt5/KF5 , and we got
as far as to getting it to build by using KDELibs4Support. But as the
Amarok Porting Wiki says, we still need to ensure that all tests are passed
and then porting it away from KDELibs4Support. I would like to take this
task as a project for Season of KDE 2015.

Here are the things that still need to be done :

According to the latest commits on the kf5 branch, amarok builds fine but
poses various run time errors. My first and foremost aim would be to fix
those run time errors and provide Play/Pause capability to the player. This
may involve porting many parts away from KDELibs4Support too. I have pushed
some commits earlier fixing some compile and run time errors and have
already started searching solutions in this direction.

Next would be to adapt the testing frameworks and pass all the test cases.
I don't know very much about tests so, I would get to know about it while
doing the above. Also I think we would need to port the various widgets
like for 'Wikipedia' and 'Lyrics' to QML2.0 and Qt Quick API in Qt5. If
that is the case we'll need to re-write everything from scratch. Also it
would be preferred to write new Widgets since Plasma 5 handles them better
and does 'voodoo with the GPU' .

I know this is huge and won't be able to accomplish in the given timeline
but, I would like to keep on working on this port after the completion of
SoK so that Amarok is fully functional for Plasma 5. As such there's no
specfifc title. I would try to take this as much forward as possible.

But this project idea is not listed in the ideas page so I was wondering if
anyone would be interested in mentoring me. Also this is not even my final
application yet, nor have I submitted one for SoK. I would like to be sure
of a mentor first. This would also be a great learning experience for me.

I know C++ and Qt. I am also a power linux user. I can find my way around
things once pointed in the right direction with the help of Documentations
and blogs and help from IRC's. I have submitted patches to the kf5 branch
earlier so I have the build environment already set up.

Regards
Aditya
Email : aditya.sharma15696 at gmail.com
IRC Nick : g33kyaditya / g33kyaditya_