[Senior Devs] Amarok and SQL queries

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Sun Nov 1 17:20:32 UTC 2015

Le 01/11/2015 18:15, Soren Harward a écrit :
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Olivier Churlaud <olivier at churlaud.com> wrote:
>> I wonder: why are the mysql libraries directly used and not the Qt framework
>> (QSqlQueries and so on)?
> IIRC, it's entirely historical.  For a handful of reasons that were
> valid in 2008 but aren't any longer, the decision was made late (and
> kind of hastily, IMO) in the 2.0-beta cycle to switch from SQLite to
> MySQL Embedded.  At the time, SQL performance through the Qt libraries
> was pretty lousy and unstable, and I don't think Qt supported MySQL
> Embedded at the time.  At any rate, relying on a SQL database for
> Amarok 2's library has always been a non-ideal solution, but the only
> one that's actually worked.  There were several failed attempts at a
> Nepomuk back end.  Now, it would be nice to have Amarok work
> seamlessly with Baloo, because that would eliminate the collection
> scanner, which has always been the the source of Amarok's biggest
> problems in terms of database performance.  But Baloo's emphasis on
> light weight (with good reason) means that Amarok is always going to
> need some kind of database to store all its internal information.

Thank you for this informations.
Do you think it would make sense to move to a Qt-based database
management? I find the code rather complex to interact with the
database, with different way of handling everything based on the
solution chosen by the user. In my opinion, working with the Qt solution
would reduce the complexity and simplify the maintainability. However, I
may (and I'm pretty sure of it) miss some of the constraints that may
force us to stay this way.

Cheers,
Olivier