GSoC: Porting of Amarok to Qt5/KF5

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:15:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Aroonav Mishra <aroonav11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> My name is Aroonav Mishra(IRC nick: roguedragon) and I am currently a
> sophomore
> studying in IIIT Bhubaneswar, India. My end-semester exams just got over
> yesterday and I can now give my complete time to the project mentioned
> below.
> I would like to thank everyone for giving me this chance to work.
>
> The project involves the porting of Amarok media player to Qt5/KF5.My
> mentors
> are Mark Kretschmann and Myriam Schweingruber. It initially also included
> the
> port to Plasma5 but even without it the project is pretty big for the 3
> month
> GSoC time-period. In these 3 months I hope to do a substantial part of the
> porting after which the porting to Plasma5 can be done.
>
> I will be posting on my blog(link to http://binaryspring.blogspot.in/) about
> the progress of the project. Links specific to the GSoC project can be
> viewed
> at: http://binaryspring.blogspot.in/search/label/gsoc/
>
> I am still a rookie here and I hope to learn a lot during the project. I
> look
> forward to a very productive future and an even more productive summer along
> with the open-source community.
>
> Cheers
> Aroonav

Welcome to the team, Aroonav. I will be out of contact for much of the
next few days, but usually am around. One of the really helpful things
is to figure out how to use the bot in #amarok to help you find
things. Use

`match searchterm` or `match *searchterm*` to figure out jow we
labeled the info, and

`calc searchterm` to get the information. A common search/info:

match *build*
[16:11] <Amarok> valorie: 5 matches (build clean, build problems,
build vlc, git-build, howtobuild)

calc git-build
[16:12] <Amarok> * git-build = check here for a local build:
http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2009/09/compiling-amarok-from-git-locally-full-summary/
A detailed information about git can be found here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Sources/KDE_git-tutorial
[added by: ~Mamarok]

Loads of useful, funny and sometimes outdated or even touchingly
historical stuff there. If you find an outdated link, feel free to fix
for future users.

I like to use the entire process in front of a user asking questions,
hoping that the smart ones will figure out how to use it themselves.
The smart ones usually end up on the devel team. :-)

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez