AlbumArtist or Artist?

Сергей protserovsd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 13:41:21 UTC 2015

Hello! As I can see, Amarok sorts music by "AlbumArtist" tag in
collection browser (left side) and displays "Artist" tag in playlist
(right side). So, for example, if I have got some tracks with one
"AlbumArtist" tag and different "Artist" tags, they will be displayed
in the playlist like this: (attachment). However, all other players
(Banshee, Rhythmbox, Exaile, Clementine, PowerAmp for android) do the
opposite: they sort the collection by "Artist" tag, while
"AlbumArtist" tag is secondary. So, when I use my collection in
different players, there is discrepancy sometimes: for example, if I
have a compilation of tracks by different artists inside my
collection, I set "AlbumArtist" as "Other tracks" and Artist is
individual for each track. So, in my collection they stay separately
from all other tracks ("Rammstein, Nightwish, Other tracks"), and
their true Artist is displayed in the playlist.
However, if I copy my collection to my Android device with Poweramp,
this compilation fall splits into many categories, because of
different "Artist" tag, as Poweramp uses this tag as primary.
If I make Amarok display sort my collection by "Artist" and set
"AlbumArtist" individially for each track in compilation, I get the
following picture: (second attachment). That's ugly. Could you please
recommend me what to do in this case? And, probably it would be
reasonable to change Amarok's policy into using "Artist" as primary,
"AlbumArtist" as secondary?
Thank you.