ampache server

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Mar 30 10:30:41 UTC 2015

Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:12 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> El Divendres, 20 de març de 2015, a les 03:17:44, Myriam Schweingruber va
>> escriure:
>>> Hi Albert,
>>
>> Hi
>
> Hi all,
>

>>> putting the amarok-devel list in Cc, as this concerns Amarok as a whole...
>>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Having music with unclear copyright may not worry you, it does worry me a lot,
>> music companies don't seem to like it and I'm sure we both agree it wouldn't
>> be cool if the KDE eV would get sued because of it.
>>
>>> So I really see no reason why you would shut it down as it a) doesn't
>>> take much space and b) it is after all on the server Amarok donated to
>>> KDE (including the rather big lump of money that came with it), and c)
>>> we need an Ampache server so we can test something, I am rather
>>> surprised you would want to shut it down...
>>
>> I don't want to shut it down, I am acting at a request of sysadmin that raised
>> the issue of having files with unclear copyright in what seemed to be an
>> unused service, so the easiest route was just shutting it down (or passing
>> ownership to someone else).
>>
>>> Amarok is part of KDE, and  my understanding is that we can use the
>>> KDE infrastructure to develop our software, and the Amapche server is
>>> part of that.I would find it rather sad if the eV board suddenly
>>> decides otherwise...
>>
>> If an Ampache instance is needed to test Amarok, sysadmin has no objections
>> to us setting up a clean instance if need be, and loading a few
>> creative commons files into it for testing purposes, but we should not risk
>> ourselves to get sued for no reason.

I agree for the principle, I just simply don't have a minute to act on
it, because that means I need to find free licensed music to upload,
and I have too many tasks at hand right now, changing the Ampache
content is very low on my priority list right now.

Since the Ampache instance is NOT public anyway, why the hurry?

Regards,
Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org