GSoC 2015 Status Update

Aroonav Mishra aroonav11 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:40:12 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The major changes that I have introduced in the Amarok code-base till now
are
as follows:

* I have changed the CMake files and I have added ECM (with a minimum
version
of 1.7.0) in it. The KF5 libraries have been remodelled into a set of
independent modules enabling the developers to use only the specific parts
which they need and avoid pulling unwanted dependencies. For this reason,
for
now I have added a few key components of KF5 and Qt5 for the cmake to find.
I will be adding more components as and when required. I have added the list
of the new dependencies in the amarok porting page().

* A major development included a change in MySQLAmarok.cmake module. As
feature_summary has been used with FATAL_ON_MISSING_REQUIRED_PACKAGES,
MySQLAmarok was turning out to be missing as MYSQLAMAROK_FOUND wasn't yet
defined. So I have defined MYSQLAMAROK_FOUND as TRUE when both mysql and
its embedded libraries have been found. More details on this have been given
in the commit and in the cmake module itself.

* The porting scripts in kde-dev-scripts have been a lot of help to me
(kudos to Laurent Montel, Kevin Funk, David Faure and all other
contributors).
I have used them and they really eased the conversion of KUrl to QUrl and in
many many more changes (like the next one).

* The icons have been renamed according to the new pattern and the
ecm_install_icons calls have been changed similarly which previously created
a lot of warnings.

* CMake version was increased to 2.8.12 as it's the minimum required to use
FindKF5.cmake.

* To port to CMAKE_AUTOMOC, the moc include files were no longer
needed(except
a few places) and they have been removed as they too created a lot of
warnings.

* QT_NO_URL_CAST_FROM_STRING has been added to make the changes from QUrl
from
QString explicit.

* I have also added the definitions to disable depreciation warnings

One of the major problems that I have faced this week was in porting to
KF5::ThreadWeaver. The documentation of the new API was surprisingly
lacking in
very important details. I faced problems in usage of the QObjectDecorator
class
where some signals have been moved into. I have thought of two solutions for
this which lets the files compile and which I am planning to test in future.
For this I spent some time on learning about the fine details of the working
of signals and slots systems.

It has been a very nice first week and I have learnt the details of quite a
few
things like the above said signals and slots system and I also spent some
time
to learn about the cmake's AUTOMOC system too.

Cheers
Aroonav