Amarok in Plasma 5 with Breeze

kainz.a kainz.a at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:51:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm one of the Breeze icon set artists and part of the Plasma VDG.

Some examples of my work:

   - LibreOffice use Breeze for there OSX Port

   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/vdg/plasma-next-icons-working/Amarok/writer.png
   - Kdenlive
   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/vdg/plasma-next-icons-working/Amarok/kdenlive.png
   - Ktorrent
   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/vdg/plasma-next-icons-working/Amarok/ktorrent.png

For the Plasma 5.4 release we would like to work on the app specific Breeze
Icons. Plasma 5.3 is standard in Kubuntu 15.04 and when you install it you
see the Breeze Look all over instead of some missing icons AND app specific
icons. Kven work on the missing app icons for the standard a apps and
settings in Kubuntu, OpenSuse, ... And I go through the standard apps and
see if there are some missing icons. Most of the missing icons are app
specific icons. A Dev look at freedesktop specifications where are a lot of
icons standardized. But sometimes you need an icon for an function that
isn't available in the freedesktop standard so you have to make your own
app specific icon and integrate the icon into your source code.

The Problem is, that the user can select there own icon set and then app
specific icons doesn't fit into the overall icon design. Nuno make the
wonderfull oxygen icon set and also some app specific icons for amarok in
oxygen style. With plasma 5 the VDG make the new icon set Breeze and Breeze
Dark and when the user use the standard icon set in Plasma 5 Amarok looks
like this:

   -
   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/vdg/plasma-next-icons-working/Amarok/amarok.png

Most icons are from the selected system icon set (Breeze) and some are app
specific icons in oxygen style. I don't want to say please change from
Oxygen to Breeze. NO please follow the suggestion of the VDG. Plasma 5
support Breeze and Breeze Dark. Oxygen wasn't supported because there is no
artist any more, but we will look that Oxygen will also be available AND
usefull in Plasma 5. As Plasma support at least a minimum of two icon sets
there is a problem. What should the app developer do with app specific
icons. Does they have to support also Breeze, Breeze Dark and Oxygen and
made there own icon engin? NO our solution is to move the app specific
icons into the Breeze and Breeze Dark icon set (maybe in future Oxygen
icons to). So the apps only need ONE fallback app specific icon set as now
(you don't have to make anything) and the user can go to system settings
and change from Breeze to Oxygen to crystal, ... whatever. In Breeze and
Breeze Dark the app specific icons are included so when the user starts
amarok it shows only Breeze icons or Oxygen icons.

What the app developers have to do?
Don't use hardcoded icons. You have to say in your code look at the system
icon set if there is the icon use this (from /usr/share/icons/...) if not
use the fallback from the app source. In Ktorrent and kdenlive it was no
problem. In amarok it doesn't work for now. When I have the icon in
/usr/share/icons/breeze/actions/toolbar/ amarok don't use it. don't know
why.
And you have to say me or the VDG go for it. Make us some breeze icons and
we will review them.

Ken did a nice new App icon for Amarok in Plasma 5.4 see his blog post

   -
   https://kver.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/new-artwork-coming-in-5-4-the-tale-of-a-troublesome-wallpaper/

hope you like it.

I will start make Breeze icons if I get the feedback go for it AND if you
change the icon behavior so that first the system icon will be used and
only the backup was in your source. from my point of view please don't
change your Oxygen app icons in your source. Maybe in future when there is
an switch from QT4 to QT5. So nothing changed for you only the icon
priority.

Cheers
Andreas

Artist Freeze for Plasma 5.4 is on 08.08.2015 so I'm a bit in hurry and I
don't want to start before I get an go for it.