Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Tue Aug 4 10:18:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:41:45AM +0200, Harald Sitter wrote:
> During last akademy I brought up the possibility of killing
> phonon-gstreamer and going vlc-only in Phonon. While this discussion
> happened on a private packager list I can not point to it but the gist
> of it was that Fedora doesn't have VLC, OpenSUSE has a "crippled" VLC
> and Slackware doesn't have any packages and probably will not ever.

Why don't they provide VLC?

> KDE Sysadmins raised concerns that we wouldn't be able to provide VLC
> in any sort of bundled binary fashion as our mirror network covers
> many jurisdictions where VLC might be problematic (not that I think we
> would want to distribute binaries containing VLC anyway although it is
> very much a possibility with windows/osx I have been told).

Videolan itself has a ton of mirrors all over the world, which parts of the
world does KDE have mirrors that Videolan doesn't? (And also same question
as above.)

And in my humble opinion, that some distros cripple themselves shouldn't be
our problem... If a distro doesn't provide what users need, users should use
another distro.

--
Martin Sandsmark