Fetching googlemock

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Sat Dec 13 22:07:57 UTC 2014

On 13. 12. 2014 Konrad Zemek wrote:
> gmock sources are still not packaged by distributions, and compiling
> Amarok with tests on is still troublesome (I still use a cmake-gui
> based approach where I manually set paths to my pre-compiled gmock
> lib, as I outlined in an email some months ago).
>
> I solved the problem through the use of submodules and commited the
> change to my personal scratch repo [1]. (...)
>
> If you find my approach agreeable, I will be happy to put it on reviewboard.

Git submodule approach looks promising, however I have some concerns:
 a) this makes test depend on 'your' github repositories; we cannot guarantee
they won't go away etc.
 b) this makes testing Amarok require internet connection, at least initially;
this of shipping entire sources to build a distribution package etc.
 c) circumvents source file checksumming etc. that many distributions do to
enhance security
 d) is it legally okay to redistribute googlemock, googletest? Using a git
repo, shipping a tarball?

Still, I like the idea. a) seems easily fixable b), c) seems fixable by tweaking
the way we create Amarok tarballs.

> By the way, I noticed that importer tests are now guarded with
> 'if(LINUX)' macro. There is no 'LINUX' platform in CMake, though, so
> these tests are effectively disabled everywhere. I guess there were
> some problems on non-linux systems?

Looks like a bug to me, feel free to investigate and fix, the test should run
at least on Linux platforms (best if they are run everywhere).

Regards,
	Matěj