Acquiring Google Mock libraries for tests

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Oct 1 22:41:25 UTC 2013

Hi Konrad,

On Tuesday, October 01, 2013 17:45:54 Konrad Zemek wrote:
> Recent changes of Google Mock package in Kubuntu (precompiled libraries
> are no longer shipped) have sparked a discussion on amarok-devel mailing
> list [1] on how should we proceed without readily available libraries to
> link to. Simply compiling sources from distro-provided package is not an
> option as not all distros ship them (e.g. Arch, Suse); that leaves us
> with options of pushing distros to provide such packages, or providing
> sources ourselves (in repository or otherwise).

If they're optional dependencies, that's not a technical problem. It might be
a licensing one. Otherwise, not every distro ships every single feature some
KDE software supports. It raises complexity, but it's not a showstopper perse.

> I was having a hard time searching for examples of Google Mock usage on
> projects.kde.org, so my question is: how do other KDE projects deal with
> acquiring Google Mock?

What is Google Mock and what's the deal about it? Your email describe a
concrete issue, without giving a problem description. For me, it's hard to
make sense of it, not knowing Google Mock. I understand you're talking about a
general problem with "precompiled libraries"? Another example is libspotify,
if I understand correctly?

I think this thread doesn't need cross-posting to kde-core-devel, really. Too
much cross-posting makes baby-buddha cry. :P

Cheers,
--
sebas