Changes in GMock

Konrad Zemek konrad.zemek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 12:40:40 UTC 2013

1 paź 2013 13:22 "Matěj Laitl" <matej at laitl.cz> napisał(a):

> On 1. 10. 2013 Konrad Zemek wrote:
> > The way I see it, possible solutions are:
> >
> > * go the way of Mir: find sources installed by Kubuntu's package in
> >   "FindGmock.cmake" (in Mir it's FindGtest.cmake)
> >   downsides: depends on how distro packages gmock; e.g. Arch has no
> >   gmock package in official repos. Also, gmock version is out of our
> >   control.
>
> We may affect how distros package gmock. As gmock upstream clearly
recommends
> installing the sources and then let each project build gmock from the
> installed sources, I think we should push distributions to do it that way.
>
> So I'm +1 for requiring distros to install gmock sources and ideally
providing
> a standardized way of finding them (for example pkgconfig). Initially, we
can
> provide our own FindGmock.cmake with some heuristics ourselves.

Definitely. If we can push distros to package googlemock in a standardized
way it would be an ideal solution.

> > * use CMake's ExternalProject_add. This is the method that I use in
> >   my projects, additionally hidden behind FindGmock.cmake. Here we
> >   control gmock version and at the same time not store its sources
> >   in our repository.
> >   downsides: sources have to be downloaded during "make" step.
> >   Include directories are also not there before running cmake.
>
> -1. Downloading stuff during build is a no-go for me, plus it is the least
> secure, you loose all the checksuming etc.

I understand and echo the sentiment about downloading; just want to note
that ExternalProject_add works with release tars and checksums. I prefer it
to bundling the source in the repo, and this method (albeit without
downloading) is used by Mir to work with packaged googlemock.