Fwd: GSoC proposal review

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Thu May 2 10:51:01 UTC 2013

On 30. 4. 2013 Abhinandan Ramprasath wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz> wrote:
> > On 28. 4. 2013 Abhinandan Ramprasath wrote:
> > Every bugfix counts - we need to know that students are capable of
> > patching, building, reading code, respecting style etc.
>
> I have attempted a few bug fixes (including the M4B chapter support bug).
> But those were rejected. I didn't know if I should quote them.
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/109256/

You can. Mention is was rejected because it was rather a technical preview.

> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110150/

This one wasn't rejected, it just needs to be redone.

> This is my latest one but not reviewed yet, i don't think it would be
> merged by may 3rd.
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110243/

The problem with this one it that it implements a feature that we are not sure
should be part of Amarok (showing hidden files; Amarok is not a file manager),
but I have some idea for it.

You seem to have bad luck when picking bugs to solve. :-|

> > Are you sure that this is the format used in audiobooks? The link refers
> > movies mostly. Also please clarify that Qt is quicktime here (better not
> > shorten it), not Qt library.
>
> Yes, I have even manually reverse-engineered m4b files (around 15) from
> librivox to make sure the formats are the same. Chapter decoding is the
> same for mp4,m4b. My attempt at solving the bug actually works for those
> m4b files and bookmarks it for most files.( for some it won't work )

Oh, nice, feel free to briefly mention this.

> > > be the changes that I would make in TagLib to support QtChapters. The
> > > changes in amarok include, displaying the chapter markers to the user in
> > > the form of bookmarks or Multi-Tracks.
> >
> > This needs to be sorted out, I think we would prefer MultiTracks.
>
> Personally, I liked the bookmarks. wouldn't MultiTracks go long in the
> playlist? I thought I would implement both and let the user choose which
> one he wants to go with. ;)

Hmm, for CUEsheeted music MultiTracks seem to be better, but for audiobooks
maybe bookmarks could be better. Maybe it can be solved this way. Then the
"unified" word in the proposal title doesn't really hold anymore. (not that it
is a problem)

> > If the documentation stands for documenting public classes and methods,
> > then don't do it in batch in the last week. Do it right when you
> > introduce/change a class/method!
>
> by documentation here, I mean commenting in between code, cleaning it up
> etc.

Then it definitely should be done right away when you code.

> > > College starts early august but should not be a problem. I will still be
> > > able to put in 50 hours a week by working a little extra in the
> > > weekends.
> >
> > Hmm, this is a bit early. Are you going to have regular courses from early
> > August?
>
> yes, but college would give permission for me to take 2-3 weeks off for
> gsoc. There have been many students in the past who have done that.

Alright, then mention it. Maybe the 50 hrs/week is too much, I think the 40
hrs/week commitment is okay, of course you can work more as you see fit when it
comes to it.

	Matěj