Looking for a GSoC mentor

vedant agarwala vedant.kota at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 19:00:51 UTC 2013

Hello,
I want to do the project Improving and modularizing tag
guessing<http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas#Project:_Improving_and_modularizing_tag_guessing>
for
this year's Google Summer of Code. For this I need a mentor who can guide
me. I have thought about how the project can be implemented but obviously
it will require modifications and betterment by a mentor.
As I understand the project requires a documented directory (say
"taggetters") containing abstract classes (like "Controller" and
"Provider"). Sub-directories will be created under this directory that will
implement the abstract classes. The existing musicbrainz directory will be
ported into such a sub-directory and it will use the newly created
framework. Later on, more sub-directories can be created that follow this
framework.
A new GUI will have to be created so that these services can be used. The
existing button- Get tags from MusicBrainz- will be replaced by "Get tags
from the following services: ", and followed by QGroupBox containing names
of the features. Getting tags from the individual services will run in
parallel and results will be displayed as soon as they are fetched. The
user can choose the best tags from the generated list.
An alternative GUI would be to keep different buttons for different
services- only the clicked service would be used to get tags.
It might be good to add a feature by which tags for multiple tracks (if not
the entire local collection) can be changed. Getting and/or changing Tags
requires many user clicks as of now. To implement this, a "tag getter
wizard" can be created that selects the best tags for every track (maybe by
comparing results of different services) and it is written to file after
user approval.
This rough proposal is largely based on the idea page with a
few suggestions of my own. A mentor would be able to tell me in a more
concrete way how the project is to be done and also guide me during the
actual process.
I hope someone will come forward and help me out in outlining the needs of
my project. Also, any suggestions/comments will be very helpful.
Thank-you in advance,
Vedant.