Splash Screen

Konrad Zemek konrad.zemek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 19:40:04 UTC 2013

2013/6/13 Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>:
> Heya,
>
> it appears that the splash screen is no longer working. Noone seems to
> have noticed except for Myriam, who noticed it by coincidence. As I
> was about to start debugging this, I was asking myself if we shouldn't
> remove it entirely. Splash screens are a bit 90s, and application
> startup time has become so fast (except for Gimp or OpenOffice maybe)
> that they no longer make sense.
>

> Thoughts?

The issue was with gray rectangle, right? I think I may have noticed
that, but have written it off as a result of Amarok loading too fast
for the splash screen to load completely (it's normally just a flash).
I can't think of any other application loading as fast as Amarok does
and having a splash screen; much like you say, it seems to make sense
only for slow loading applications, so that a user is given any notion
of progress.

So I for one won't miss the splash screen at all, I barely ever see it.

Konrad