Propose: Change behaviour that 'Amarok guesses Album from Filepath if no album-tag is set"

Mathias Dietrich dietrichmathias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 08:40:11 UTC 2013

Hi,
although it did not work in Amarok 2.7.1 and before, we now have the following
behavior in Amarok-git, which is according to Matěj no bug and wanted:

1. Collect multiple songs in one folder
2. Ensure that the songs have no album-tag
3. Start Amarok and import the collection

Result:

Although I specifically removed the album-tag from my files, Amarok uses the file
path and guesses an album for all the files within this directory.

E.g.: /home/user/Musik/FLAC/Pop/1970/

-> creates the album "1970"

Or /home/user/Musik/Acoustic/

-> creates the album "Acoustic"

For additional examples please have a look at: https://bugs.kde.org/322185

As a power user, managing a large collection of songs, using Amarok. I propose
to change this behavior before it gets released.

To my mind this behavior makes no sense at all. I know other users that are
the same opinion. My reasons are the following:

1. If a user removes the album-tag using a tagging software, he wants to
ensure that the track gets no album

-> e.g.: I have a large collection of single songs from different albums, like
always the best 3 songs of the album. Although I don't want hundreds of albums
in my collection just because I have 1-3 songs of an album. So I remove the
album-tag. If I would wanted the all the albums in my collection, I would
simply keep the album-tag.

-> Problem is, Amarok now starts guessing my albums according to my folder
structure and I have to delete all guessed albums again within Amarok :(

2. The "heuristic" to guess the album by file path is no good solution in two
ways.

Firstly, if I use a music player which is based and works with Tags, I just
want to it to be based on tags. I just want to add my collection and don't
necessary want to mess around with the file structure of my tracks.

Secondly, the heuristic was broken in the past (<=2.7.1) and nobody wanted to
have an album guessed by file path. Correct me if you find a feature request for
this.

At third, the heuristic in the moment is a bad solution: "take the folder
containing all the files". If I throw a lot of files (>1000) within a folder,
like "my music". All this files get the album "my music". It's no good solution
at all.

That is why I propose multiple solutions to improve situation:

1. Remove this behavior at all, if it was no feature request. If someone
removes the album-tag he does not want it. It's very unlikely that someone
listens to music that, unintentionally, contains no tags.

OR:

2. Only guess something of no tags are available at all. This way it would be
safe to assume that someone imported music without tags, because he does not
know that tags exist, which is highly unlikely.

So what is your opinion regarding this issue, from the developers point of
view ?