Releasing 2.7

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Tue Jan 15 16:32:41 UTC 2013

Heya fellow devs,
while we kinda missed 2.7 release date target, I'm not unhappy because we've
managed to add a bunch of very visible bugfixes.

But we can't postpone it any longer, today I should be able to fix the one last
release_blocker bug so that I can tag 2.7 final somewhere tomorrow. If any of
you has any pending bugfixes to push/finalize, please push them today or shout
loudly that you need more time.

Hi Michael Larabel,
we're pleased that you cover Amarok development on Phoronix, but please let me
explain you a difference between release *tagging* and *public release* so that
a misunderstanding like [1] won't happen any more.

 * tagging is an act of non-public marking a certain commit in the SCM as the
released version. This is usually followed by creating source tarball and its
distribution to distro packagers using private channels once preliminary
testing succeeds.

* public release usually happens within a week after tagging, but in case
grave problems are found with the tar-ball, the whole process might start
over, which leads to delays.

As you've might guessed, the *public release* date should be referred to in
sentences like "Amarok X.Y was/will be released on ***.". Thanks!

[1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI0NzY

Regards,
		Matěj