ToolTips and Automatic Formatting

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Aug 18 06:08:44 UTC 2013

п'ятниця, 16-сер-2013 10:44:45 Mark Kretschmann написано:
> Heya,
>
> as we noticed recently, many of Amarok's ToolTips look very ugly and
> have readability issues because they are not formatted. Therefore a
> longer ToolTip is being rendered as one giant long line. The Qt API
> offers automatic formatting with line-breaks for ToolTips, but there
> is an ugly API quirk: The formatting can only be switched on by adding
> a <html> tag to the string. In theory a wrapper could be created for
> QWidget::setToolTip() and friends, but this wouldn't play nice with Qt
> Designer.
>
> I think for consistency's sake it would be ideal to simply switch on
> automatic formatting for *all* of our ToolTips, and not bother with
> manual line-breaks. This is also because with translations it's
> impossible to know the final length and look of the strings. The
> downside is, we would have to change nearly all ToolTip strings in
> Amarok (this could be done with some clever sed use).
>
> What do you think is the best way to go forward?

Hi,

There are no objections from me if it works beter way than before (regardless
to the method chosen). However, it would be good to have some time to adopt
the new formatting in the translations and not push the changes right before
the release (like it was with docs).

Thanks for your work.

Best regards,
Yuri