Introduction: Season of KDE 2013

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Aug 16 10:26:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Avik Pal <avik_pal at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am Avik Pal, undergraduate student of computer science at the Bengal
> Engineering & Science University, Shibpur. I was going through the season of
> KDE website and the
> Amarok project drew my attention especially the project Improving and
> modularizing tag guessing which was listed as an idea in the GSOC'13 ideas
> list. I would like to learn in detail about the project . Also it would be
> nice if you can share some documentations related to this project.
>
> (a little about myself)
>    I have about 4 years experience in C/C++. I have also worked with Python,
> JavaScript. I have contributed to several open source projects namely
> Mozilla and Open motion planning library.
>
>    Hoping to hear from you soon,

Hello Avik,

sorry for the late response, and thank you for your interest in
contributing to Amarok. I think your proposal is very interesting, and
personally I would love to see it being implemented. So you are
welcome to do your SoK project at Amarok.

There is a little catch though, in that we are a bit thin-stretched
with mentors, as we are already supervising several GSoC projects and
two upcoming SoK projects. So I could offer to be your mentor, but as
I have time constraints of my own, in reality we would mentor you more
in a team fashion, which is already our usual working mode. Amarok is
heavily based on IRC (in addition to mailing lists), and usually
whoever is around at a given time helps out the others if they have
any questions. So I don't think that it's a huge issue, as you would
still be able to get the advice and guidance you need.

If you are ok with this, we could continue discussing the details of
your project.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer