Need a mentor for an SoK idea

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Aug 1 09:34:27 UTC 2013

Hi Vedant,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM, vedant agarwala <vedant.kota at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a idea for SoK: Improved Lyrics fetching and display.
> As of now Amarok uses a script to download lyrics from lyricwiki.org. It
> would be a better idea to make this an integral part of Amarok.

The current script IS integral part of Amarok. Making more options
available is better done through scripts, because the lyric websites
available out there are totally unreliable, change very often and it
is impossible to maintain, as one site works a year and then it is
gone. We implemented this as a script on purpose :)

> The lyrics display also needs an upgrade. Currently it displays the entire
> lyrics at once and inaccurately scrolls over time. I want to add karaoke
> style lyrics display. Depending on the .lrc file, the current playing word
> or line will be highlighted. I know the exact GUI must be compatible with
> the Amarok look and feel so this is debatable.

You are aware that Karaoke style is not that easy to implement, as you
would need to use the gstreamer library more or less directly, I don't
think the karaoke mode is currently supported by the phonon backend.
Also keep in mind that gstreamer is currently transiting from 0.18.x
to 1.x, a lot of feature shuffling going on in the various plugins
there, so it would have to
> This is a just a rough idea and I will write a more concrete description
> after feedback for you :)
> Also, it would be great if I could know the prospective mentors for SoK and
> about how many SoK projects will be hosted by Amarok.

Pending somebody actually has time to mentor this, and that is the
main problem: we are already 4 people mentoring GSoC projects and this
is thin stretching the availability of the current Amarok developers.

If somebody steps up to mentor you would have to discuss a concrete
idea with the actual mentor anyway. I for one can't mentor you, and I
would very much prefer SoK work to be on actually existing code in
Amarok, like the CUE sheet support which needs work. Just my 2 cts.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org