GSoC application review - reimplementing personal metadata importers

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Mon Apr 29 21:12:09 UTC 2013

On 29. 4. 2013 Konrad Zemek wrote:
> I introduced a few changes since last time I sent my proposal on review.
> Unfortunately, because the proposal is already on Google Melange
> website, it's now in HTML - and so I'm no longer maintaining the
> contents in git repository, therefore there's no change log this time. :-(
>
> A few minor changes were made, like fixing some typos, changing "in
> review" to "merged" and fixing timeline (thanks again, Mate(j!). I also
> added a GUI section to "Implementation Details", with a few early
> mockups to show in which direction I'm going; of course that's all
> subject to change.
>
> I should be able to prepare some design mockups by the submission
> deadline, though I must say I'm a bit wary of this, as I'm almost
> certain that I would come up with something much better - and possibly
> much different - in the period between application deadline and the
> "coding start" date.

Your proposal is already very clear and rather easy to understand, so I don't
think this is needed.

> So below is the current incarnation of my proposal. I hope you'll
> forgive me HTML - I'm pasting it exactly as it is on Google Melange. I
> tried to keep as basic as possible, while still being correct and nicely
> formatted.

I'm not reading it though again (sorry), just some random things that came to
my mind and those that you pointed out you changed.

>         Implement Rhythmbox and Amarok 2.x importers
>
>   * At this point both Amarok 1.4 and iTunes importers are rewritten, so
>     their implementations will be used as a reference for Amarok 2.x and
>     Rhythmbox importers.

Some more things to iron out about StatSyncing::Amarok2Provider:
 * would you support both a) connecting to a "live" database server and b)
opening the database stored in a folder yourself using mysql-embedded
 * Amarok database schema changes sometimes with versions, it would be nice if
you could also sync against older versions (starting at least with let's say
with Amarok 2.5) and perhaps also with future versions (unless the schema
changes too much). You might do some fuzzy checks of the db schema before
syncing to ensure you're working with what you expect.

>       Junior job link
>
> [3] <#ref3>

Also [4]?

>       Images
> [8] http://student.agh.edu.pl/~zemek/amarok/config_metadata_tab.png

Nice, exactly as I imagined it. (nitpick: for better discoverability you might
rename "Add..." to "Sync with Amarok 1.4/2.x/Rhythmbox...")

> [10]
http://student.agh.edu.pl/~zemek/amarok/add_rhythmbox_synchronization_target_dialog.png

Well, "Match Tracks by Metadata" would be the only way to match them, wouldn't
it?

	Matěj