[Libmtp-discuss] GSoC Proposal v2: Amarok MTP Collection rewrite with emphasis on Android device support

Linus Walleij linus.ml.walleij at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 09:30:06 UTC 2013

2013/4/29 Matěj Laitl <matej at laitl.cz>:

> One question may come to attentive reader's mind: why the implementation
> doesn't involve kio-mtp?[6] It is because kio-mtp doesn't use the track libmtp
> API (rather it uses the file API) - with track API we can query metadata like
> sample rate or artist without having to download the file at all.

Actually I've been wondering how the Android MTP stack and the
Samsung MTP stack handles metadata.

It seems to me like you can indeed in most cases query tracks for
metadata over MTP, but when sending metadata it seems to be
ignored on some devices, and the proper way to get that in place
is to have tags in the files.

Yours,
Linus Walleij