GSoC considerations

Matěj Laitl matej at laitl.cz
Tue Apr 9 13:46:31 UTC 2013

Hi fellow devs,
KDE has been accepted for GSoC again, kudos to all organizers that made it
possible.

This is also a great opportunity for you to consider applying to be a mentor
(Myriam, Teo, Bart, Edward - I hope you'll apply again, Ralf, Mark, Sam, Sven
- think about it!), and also to add your idea to the Ideas list [1]. (perhaps
even if you may not be able to mentor it)

I've added 3 ideas, but I might not be able to mentor them in case I'm
accepted as a student, however I plan to do code reviews. Please have a look
at these - if they seem nonsense, please shout early! "I could mentor this" or
"I suggest a change" are of course also accepted. ;)

I have also another idea on my mind: Scripting Interface Revival
 * document Amarok Scripting API in-code and generate Script API documentation
automatically rather than manually on a wiki page
 * unit-test all scripting API methods (preferably using little ad-hoc
scripts)
 * deprecate methods allowing direct SQL db access and provide alternatives
(this essentially means providing a kind of (simplified) API for query maker)

^^^ what do you think?

Myriam also suggests that we should run the "QML Context View" idea again and
I support it. Agreed?

Cheers,
		Matěj

[1] http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas#Amarok