Authorship

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:51:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> The currently active Amarok team has defined the authors list to
> contain current contributors that have ownership (written it or
> maintaining it for a while) of amarok components or non-coding
> contributions to the project. As far as I can tell there is no legal
> reason to list all past contributors as authors.
> Myriam pushed a commit reflecting what we thought was the current
> state of that list yesterday. A few people don't seem to agree and
> reverted their own entries.

At the time of the discussion, I asked if we were moving
no-longer-active authors to a "previous author" category or similar,
and was assured that this was what was being done. After examining the
diff, I see that that is *not* true, and the former authors have been
moved into Contributors.

This seems disrespectful to me, and not in the spirit of teamwork that
we want to foster. Legalities? I believe those are satisfied by
headers. Our About dialog is about community, not legality. I very
much hope we can respectfully honor the work of major contributors in
the past, and not move them into the same bin in which we place those
who have contributed a few euros or a couple of patches.

All the best,

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez